Saturday, January 8, 2011

Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies



Well, the first week back to school really placed into perspective what I need to do to get through this quarter. I will have to study harder than I've ever had to before and with that, I'm fully prepared to do so. Who knows if I can bake as much as I would like to. I definitely will try and do my best. As of right now, I did bake something! :)

To start off my quarter on a good note, why not make some Chocolate Chip Cookies with a little something extra, Walnuts! I've said this before and I'll say it again, I love the versatility that a Chocolate Chip Cookie gives. Add anything you want and it becomes a whole new cookie. So, instead of a Chocolate Chip Cookie, I decided to add in some Walnuts since for 1. I had them laying around so why not use them? and 2. I felt I needed to add a crunch to these cookies.

Popping these cookies into the oven and waiting for them to come out so that I can devour was painstaking. The smell of chocolate and walnuts filled the air, my sweet tooth desired something that was, of course, sweet and my body that needed something fattening and so called 'bad for you' to some, and yet soooo good for the soul! These cookies, definitely hit the spot..

Tips
-Make sure you have all your ingredients at room temperature
-The original recipe is actually for fried cookie dough. I tested it out by baking the dough instead and it worked fine.

Results
Taste: Chocolate-y and sweet but not too sweet. That mixed with chopped walnuts to give nutty-ness, rounded out the flavors.

Texture: The edges were crisp and chewy and the center was gooey and moist. Yum!

Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookie (Makes about 3 dozen)
Recipe by Anne Thornton. Adapted by Me.
Ingredients
Cookie Dough:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups bitter-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts

Directions
For the cookie dough: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. In a standing mixer, cream the butter until it is lighter in color. Slowly add in the sugars and cream it until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the eggs 1 at a time and beat until they are incorporated. Stir in the vanilla. Add the flour mixture on low speed, and then mix in the chocolate chips and walnuts.

Take 1 tbsp of the dough and roll it into balls. Put the balls onto a cookie sheet and put them into the freezer for about 30 minutes to firm up.

Once firm, bake in the oven for about 10-12 minutes until the edges are a light golden brown and the center is still a bit soft. Cool on a wire rack.

If you want to make the actual deep fried cookie dough, follow the above steps and continue on below.

Batter:
2 cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 large egg (or 1/4 cup pasteurized eggs)
1/4 cup seltzer water, plus more, if needed
Vegetable oil, for frying
Fleur de sel, for sprinkling

For the batter: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and baking powder. Add the egg and the seltzer and whisk well to combine. Add more seltzer, as needed, until the batter is the consistency of heavy cream.

In a large, heavy bottomed stockpot, heat the oil to 350 degrees F.

Coat the chilled cookie dough balls in the batter and very carefully place them into the hot oil. Fry no more than 3 at a time, since you do not want the temperature of the oil to drop. Using a slotted spoon, turn them over a few times until they are golden brown, about 3 minutes total. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels, sprinkle with fleur de sel, and serve warm.

-Aaron John
Facebook Fan Page

6 comments:

  1. Yum! They look fantastic. I've never heard of fried cookies, sounds interesting though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AJ, I wandered here by chance but have really enjoyed my visit. I've spent some time browsing through your earlier entries and I want you to know how much I enjoy the treats and recipes you feature here. I'll definitely will be back. I think the nuts were a perfect addition to the cookie dough and a gal can never have too many recipes for chocolate chip cookies :-). Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. AJ,
    Awesome blog you got here. I'm glad your sharing your passion with everyone. Also, as a person who cooks and bakes a lot, I am also glad to see you recommending using pasteurized eggs in your recipe. I have been using them for a few years now. I personally think they're great. Using a product that you know is safe, especially with all these recent egg recalls and food safety bills. I'd rather know that I'm making something for me and my guests that is safe then be sorry and someone gets sick. But, I am really interested in your recipes. I think I'm going to try some at my super bowl party.
    Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, great blog. Especially for those of us that need some baking tips. Definitely inspires me to work on my design a lot more haha. I saw you checked my blog out a while back and now I'm back to working on it. Follow me back! food-dudes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynne: I was so interested in the fried cookie dough myself. I have to try it next!

    Mary: Thank you so much! It means a lot. I've been to your blog as well. Loving it!! :D

    mmmhealthyfoodie: Yay! I'm glad! I hope the recipes turn out great for you!

    Andrew: Hey! I follow you already! You have a great blog as well. I actually started blogging like you, reviewing places to eat. Definitely a great way to begin the "blogging journey"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came across your blog through foodgawker and made these cookies (baked, not fried) last night. They're delicious! My new favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe. Thank you! Keep up the good work : )

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! :)

-Aaron John

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails