Saturday, September 3, 2011

Arancini di Riso (Risotto Balls)




What the?? How is August already over and Fall just around the corner? Time seems to fly when you get older. I can honestly say, when I was younger, summer break seems to go by slower. Maybe that happened because all I did was sit around and watched my daily cartoons.

Anywho, when time seems to fly, you always want to reinvent or use up leftovers in a whole new way. Risotto balls are no different. Every culture seems to get the most value for their buck whether it's using every part of the animal, including internal organs, in dishes or changing a leftover into a "makeover". I mean have you seen Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern?? The things that guy eats are just uhhhhh..., if you've seen his show you know what I'm talking about.

Since I made a bunch of risotto last week, I decided to save some risotto for the next day and whip up this. Man oh man are these good! I do have to say, they're pretty filling so 2 of them are good enough. Squeeze a little lemon on top and it's taken to a whole other level.

Arancini di Riso (Risotto Balls)
Recipe by Giada de Laurentiis
Makes about 20 servings

Ingredients
Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
2 large eggs, beaten to blend
2 cups Risotto with Mushrooms and Peas, recipe follows, cooled
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1 1/2 cups dried Italian-style bread crumbs
2 ounces mozzarella, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
Salt

Directions
Pour enough oil in a heavy large saucepan to reach the depth of 3 inches. Heat the oil over medium heat to 350 degrees F.

Stir the eggs, risotto, Parmesan, and 1/2 cup of the bread crumbs in a large bowl to combine. Place the remaining breadcrumbs in a medium bowl. Using about 2 tablespoons of the risotto mixture for each, form the risotto mixture into 1 3/4-inch-diameter balls. Insert 1 cube of mozzarella into the center of each ball. Roll the balls in the bread crumbs to coat.

Working in batches, add the rice balls to the hot ail and cook until brown and heated through, turning them as necessary, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the rice balls to paper towels to drain. Season with salt. Let rest 2 minutes. Serve hot.

- Aaron John

2 comments:

  1. I love these and yours sound delicious. I always enjoy my visits here and have to make it a point to stop by more often. I really like the food and recipes you feature here. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look sooooo good, I love arancini, and these seem like an even creamier version!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! :)

-Aaron John

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails