Saturday, May 11, 2013

Chicken Strips


Well, it's that time of year, I feel like everyone I know is graduating or done with their undergraduate career and here I am, stuck for another year. Can you say Super Senior? A part of me wishes I was graduating so that I can just be done with this chapter of my life yet the other part of me is glad because I don't feel completely set for the real world yet.


Either way you look at it, one more year and I'll be the one graduating with a degree in Biochemistry and Chemistry and a minor in Diversity. Until that time, it's time to eat Chicken Strips. Deep fried chicken anyone?


For this recipe, I literally used what I had on hand. Basically, I diluted sour cream until it reached the consistency of buttermilk and added whatever spices I had. A little dip here and a dip there and Chicken Strips appear like magic. The magic of hot oil that is. 

Chicken Strips
Recipe by Me

Ingredients
2 chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch thick pieces
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup water
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
Blackening Seasoning
1 1/2 cups flour
Canola oil for frying

Directions
In a bowl, whisk together the sour cream and water. (You can also use buttermilk instead of the sour cream/water combo). Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and blackening spice to taste. Try with about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp each and increase from there. You want enough of this mixture to coat the chicken completely.

Once seasoned to taste, add in the cut chicken breasts and let the chicken marinate for about 30 min to 1 hour.

In a clean paper/plastic bag, add in the flour. Season with about 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper and 1/4 tsp blackening seasoning. Add in the chicken pieces that were marinating and shake the bag until the chicken is coated evenly. If desired, dip the chicken back into the marinade mixture and back into the flour and shake again. This will give the chicken a thicker coat.

Onto a plate, place the chicken in a single layer to allow the coating to "dry". This will ensure the coating won't fall off during the frying process. Let it sit for about 10 to 15 min.

In a pot or a deep fryer, heat canola oil to 350 degrees. Make sure the oil is not filled over half the depth of the pot. Once heated, add in the chicken strips about 3 or 4 at a time, depending on the size of the pot/deep fryer and fry until golden brown for about 6 min total, flipping the chicken halfway through.

Remove from the oil and cool on a cooling rack. Repeat the process of frying the rest

-Aaron John

3 comments:

  1. Wow good idea of the diluted sour cream! They look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow just what I needed for the weekend...!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This web site is really a walk-through for all of the info you wanted about this and didn’t know who to ask. Glimpse here, and you’ll definitely discover it….

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! :)

-Aaron John

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails