Friday, March 19, 2010

Chocolate Chip Macadamia Nut Cookies



Ever since I can remember, every time I were to go to the mall with my parents growing up, my mom always did one thing. Buy a chocolate chip macadamia nut cookie from Mrs. Fields. I have to say, when I was younger, the chocolate chip macadamia nut cookie was not my favorite at all. I just didn't like the combination of a nut and chocolate in my cookie. However, over the years, as my taste for foods developed, I have grown to love the combination of macadamia nuts and chocolate. I do have to say, I do love the classic Chocolate Chip Cookie more though. In turn, since I began to make chocolate chip cookies, my mom suggested that put macadamia nuts in them just for her and so I did exactly that. The macadamia nuts give a nutty, salty, buttery flavor to the cookie which is a nice way to cut the sweetness that the chocolate gives to the cookie. In order to make these cookies, I used the exact recipe I have for chocolate chip cookies but just have an additional step of adding macadamia nuts. Since I'm not ready to give up my chocolate chip cookie recipe, I'm going to give Tyler Florence's cookie recipe (once again) with the amount of macadamia nuts I usually add.

Chocolate Chip Macadamia Nut Cookies
Ingredients
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup white sugar
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 (8-ounce) block dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup macadamia nuts

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.

Place the butter, sugar, and brown sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer; cream together on medium speed until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Beat in the vanilla and eggs. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and continue to mix until a smooth batter forms. Turn off the mixer and fold in the chocolate chunks using the spatula.

To form the cookies, scoop about 1/4 cup of cookie dough into your hands and roll it around into a ball; place them about 3-inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets; you should get about 4 cookies on each pan. Press down the tops of the dough slightly and bake until the cookies are light brown, 12 minutes for chewy cookies, or about 15 minutes for crispy cookies.

Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough/cookie sheets.

Makes 1 dozen (5-inch) cookies

-Aaron John
My Food Outings: AJ's Food Adventure
Facebook Fan Page

2 comments:

  1. What! you don't want to give up your cookie recipe? Isn't this what your blog is for? to share with the world your cooking secrets?
    That is usually what people look for on cooking blogs-new, creative recipes from the author himself.
    Although I do see the advantage in the way you have your blog. You take good recipes from all over to give us a nice variety. A one-stop shop you might say.
    So I'm not saying you're doing it all wrong, it's just that people don't like to read a blog just to realize that the best information is behind withheld from them. Understand?
    Anyway good for you to be putting your creative side out for others to see.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! :)

-Aaron John

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails